An elementary school was evacuated Friday morning due to a show-and-tell mishap, the district spokesman said.
Stoughton Area School District spokesman Derek Spellman said a Sandhill elementary first-grader brought a baby shark preserved in a jar of solution to a class for a show-and-tell-type presentation Friday. At about 10 a.m., the jar fell and broke, spilling the liquid in the classroom.
The school said it wasn't known what the solution in the jar was, and per policy, the school called an environmental consultant who suggested the building be evacuated as a precaution. It is suspected the solution could be formaldehyde, a toxic preservative.
"Whenever it comes to the safety of our students and staff, we always err on the side of caution," Spellman said in an email Friday afternoon.